Out walkies this morning, I took a detour to visit a bush.
Suddenly there came a stinging sensation around the back of my left ankle.
Evil vegetation present: poison oak (to which I seldom have a reaction, and the reaction is nowhere near that fast in any case) and blackberries (thorny, but not venomous).
No nettles in view.
Guess I must have trodden on a nest of... I dunno... tiny irritable wasps? Microscopic flying rattlesnakes? Forest jellyfish?
Been two and a half hours now; I got home, cleaned the area, and goobered on some hydrocortisone cream. It's still stinging.
(The title is of course a Moonwulf reference.)