Woke up a bit on the late side, with assorted felines demanding attention. Also with a nasty sinus headache.
A hot shower helped with the sinus headache, but left me still feeling decidedly off. This being Sunday morning, I'd normally head over to my parents' house to do my laundry and take their dog for a brisk walk. I'd like to do that before the day gets too hot... but...
I'd figured out why the kitchen sink had gotten drippy. Basically, it needed the nut on the the drain (strainer, whatever it's called) tightened. I figured I'd disassemble it and apply some fresh putty before tightening it.
So I disassembled that side of the drain plumbing, and commenced to loosen the big nut.
Well, no. It turned easily enough, but the whole assembly was turning along with it. I don't seem to have anything suitable for immobilizing the drain body, and didn't feel like fabricating one, so off to the hardware store.
Yreka*! Special wrench-like thing for grabbing kitchen sink drain bodies. Back to the kitchen to set about loosenin'...
...No. I'm nowhere near strong enough. Were I a little stronger, I expect I'd destroy one wrench or the other before that nut let go. CLP doesn't help.
At this point, I was getting seriously fatigued, but the sink was by now entirely unusable, so the job must be completed, and I ain't callin' no real plumber on a Sunday.
Out to the shed; fetch the grinder. I ended up doing this last time, didn't I? Cats in the bedroom. Face shield on. BRZZZZZZZZZZZZ! Not quite. BRZZZZZZ! Ah, here we go. Fetch a hammer and chisel, and pry the nut apart. All's well, except for a brand-new slot in the sink's flange, where no slot belongs.
And so I returned to the hardware store for a replacement drain thingy and some JB Weld putty. Make sure all the bits are going to fit together: OK, with some fiddling and a bit of mix&match. Jam some epoxy putty into the slot. While it's curing, put a thick bead of plumber's putty on the new drain's flange, and some PTFE paste on the threads, so maybe this one won't get permanently corroded in place. Assemble. Tighten so's most of the putty extrudes; clean up the excess. Assemble the plumbing.
It appears to be working now. When I got it back together, about an hour ago, I was beyond exhaustion, and near the point of total collapse. Rest is good.
After I recuperate a bit more, it'll be time for lunch. Food is good, but rest first.
Then, in the heat of the afternoon... no, not dog-walking. Maybe this evening (the laundry still needs doing, and this promises to be another busy work week).
No, the heat-of-the-afternoon project involves fixing the back door so it latches properly again. It doesn't, at the moment. Probably calls for yet another trip to the hardware store. Good thing the door opens inward, or certain furry menaces would be pushing it open at their own convenience.
Update: Back door duly Bubba'ed; should be good for another several years (and, really, the door itself is overdue for replacement). Laundry put off until tomorrow evening. I spent a little bit of the evening chasing further performance issues with that embedded TCP/IP stack, and didn't actually solve the remaining problem but came up with a workaround that gives a significant improvement in the time needed to recover from it when it inevitably (but unpredictably) happens. Other than that... tired. Need a vacation, but that ain't happening any time soon.
* That's Greek for "I have baked it!", or possibly "I half-baked it!"