So there's this story about how some chemistry demonstration called "The Rainbow Experiment" (which is a demonstration, not a proper experiment), involving little dishes of methanol mixed with various salts to produce pretty-colored flames, sometimes goes wrong and results in students getting seriously burned.
WTF? Really, the amount of methanol involved, in a few little open dishes, should have basically zero potential for injuring anyone more'n a few inches away.
So I click through to the source, and watch the first bit of the vid, and...
I. D. Ten. T.
Seems one of the flames was getting a mite puny, so the teacher went to add a bit more methanol. Pouring it on. Direct from the. Gallon. Jug.
Hello? Pouring a flammable substance directly from a large open container onto an open flame? Where was that teacher when the brains were being handed out?
(Yeah, I've done some dumb stuff with flammables in my time, but even I'm not that dumb.)